Principal Reduction Mortgage and Taxes

Do I get 1099 if I get a principal reduction from my mortgage company?


Answer: Yes. This is called cancellation of debt and you will almost certainly get a 1099-c. Please check with your accountant or tax expert on the exact consequences.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email